[openstack-dev] [nova] StorPool attachment driver approval? [Was: Reminder: July 16 is non-priority feature proposal freeze]

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 29 18:19:47 UTC 2015

On 7/29/2015 10:16 AM, Peter Penchev wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 09:56:56PM +0100, John Garbutt wrote:

>> So technically both are correct, neither are complete, oops:
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Liberty_Release_Schedule
>>
>> July 16: non-priority feature proposal freeze
>> July 30: liberty-2 -- non-priority feature freeze
>
> Hi,
>
> Apologies for using the list for this, but, well, is there any
> chance that somebody might look at the StorPool Nova attachment
> driver proposal?  It's a pretty trivial change - add a driver that
> implements attaching and detaching Cinder volumes to Nova virtual
> machines by passing the calls along to the StorPool OpenStack
> bindings...
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/192613/ - spec
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/140733/ - code
>
> If anybody wonders about John Garbutt's -2 on the driver itself,
> that's a leftover from the pre-Kilo period when pretty much the same
> thing happened: people had no real objections to the spec, it was
> even approved back then, but the actual code did not get enough
> approval votes.
>
> So, yeah, sorry again for posting to the whole list... and thanks
> in advance for your time! :)
>
> G'luck,
> Peter

Earlier in the cycle we said that we wouldn't require a spec for scaleio
and HGST volume drivers getting into nova since they are shims that talk
to os-brick, which is now integrated with nova (as of yesterday).

Looking at your change, this isn't talking to brick, so (1) is your
backend connector supported in brick and (2) if so you'd need to update
your nova change to use the os-brick connector like scaleio and HGST are
doing now - which leaves little time to get this into Liberty at this
point given feature freeze for nova is tomorrow.

Matt Riedemann