[openstack-dev] stable/kilo (and master grenade) will be blocked until version bumps on kilo are merged

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 29 13:49:46 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-29 09:39:46 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
> On 07/29/2015 09:29 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > On 7/29/2015 8:17 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
[...]
> > > ValueError: git history requires a target version of
> > > pbr.version.SemanticVersion(2015.1.2), but target version is
> > > pbr.version.SemanticVersion(2015.1.1)
[...]
> So, after every release a giant amount of patches all have to land lock
> step or everything is broken?
>
> That seems pretty fragile. Can we revisit whatever decision caused this
> issue?

This came with the semver implementation in PBR 0.11, specifically
the idea that if your most recent tag is higher than the version you
claim to be working toward in setup.cfg then something is terribly
wrong and PBR should throw its hands up in the air until you fix
your config. Useful in theory, but racy in practice (especially when
you have one team of people pushing tags and a different team
approving updates to the repo's setup.cfg file).

A suitable compromise might be to add a knob to PBR (probably via a
directive in setup.cfg) to emit a warning and fall back on version
guessing as if the version entry were not present at all.
--
Jeremy Stanley