[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Let's talk about API versions

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 20:51:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 1:01 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/27/2015 10:41 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> > On 07/27/2015 04:35 PM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> >> Hi friends.
> >>
> >> Ironic implemented API "micro" versions in Kilo. We originally did this
> >> to allow for breaking changes in the API while allowing users to opt in
> >> to the breakage.
> >>
> >> Since then, we've had a "default version" for our client that we bump to
> >> something sensible with each release. Currently it is at 1.8.
> >> Negotiation is done with the server to figure out what is supported and
> >> adjust accordingly.
> >>
> >> Now we've landed a patch[0] with a new version (1.11) that is not
> >> backward compatible. It causes newly added Node objects to begin life in
> >> the ENROLL state, rather than AVAILABLE. This is a good thing, and
> >> people should want this! However, it is a breaking change. Automation
> >> that adds nodes to Ironic will need to do different things after the
> >> node-create call.
> >>
> >> Our API versioning scheme makes this opt-in (by specifying the API
> >> version). However, some folks have a problem with releasing this change
> >> as-is. The logic is that we might release a client that defaults to 1.11
> >> or higher, or the user may request 1.12 later to get a new feature, thus
> >> breaking their application that enrolls nodes.
> >>
> >> This is clearly backwards. Users should read release notes and be aware
> >> of what changes between versions in the API. Users need to be aware of
> >> the fact that our API is versioned, and use that to their advantage.
> >>
> >> It seems to me that the goal of the version negotiation in our client
> >> has been to pretend that our API versions don't exist, from a user
> >> perspective. We need to stop doing this and force users to think about
> >> what they are doing when they interact with our API.
> >>
> >> It seems to me we have a few options here:
> >>
> >> 1) Default the python client and CLI to the earliest supported version.
> >> This will never break users by default.
> >>
> >> 2) Default the python client and CLI to use the special version
> >> 'latest'. This will always use the latest API version, and always
> >> break people when a new server version (that is not backwards
> >> compatible) is deployed.
> >>
> >> 3) Do what Nova does[1]. Default CLI to latest and python client to
> >> earliest. This assumes that CLI is typically used for one-time commands
> >> (and it isn't a big deal if we break a one-off command once), and the
> >> python client is used for applications.
> >
> > Actually what Nova is doing is slight different than this, the CLI will
> > default to "latest" on the server. There will be an extra round trip to
> > figure out what that is. And the CLI will (long term) just not present
> > commands that aren't available at the server level you are talking to.
> >
> > Consider the CLI an auto negotiating microversion application of the
> > python API client. And, realistically, should solve some of the issues
> > of people running "nova foo" and getting cryptic errors from the server
> [...]
Hi Dmitry,

I appreciate a good rant as much as anyone -- and I post them, too -- but
aside from the last paragraph, it's hard for me to tell what your intent
here is, so I'm going to take a guess and respond mostly to that last
paragraph.

The REST API does require negotiation right now, or else the client will
get the minimum (1.1) version and its respective behavior.  However, as you
know, the client defaults to sending a version right now, and that seems to
be the crux of this debate.

So, what if the client sends *no* version by default, thus getting default
minimum version from the server? It should then print any needed
deprecation warnings, and *allow* the user to specify a different version
-- and I think that's quite reasonable. It reverses the current client's
behavior, but I agree that it's better in the long run. And that is exactly
what I proposed a couple weeks ago, here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/196320/2/specs/devref/api-version-negotiation.rst,cm

However, it doesn't address my objection to the ENROLL change -- namely,
that it *does not* require a breaking change. Users should be given the
ability to opt-in to the new behavior by a means other than an API version,
and the client should use the API version to discover whether that
capability is present in the cloud, and give appropriately helpful error
messages to the user if it isn't.

Why go through all this? Because we can, because it's not that hard to
implement, and finally, because as a user, I don't want to have to update
the flow control logic of my code (much like Clint already exemplified)
just to get the next backwards-compatible feature we roll out.

Thanks,
-Deva