[openstack-dev] [infra][puppet] Keeping common set of file synchronized across puppet modules

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Jul 28 17:13:42 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 03:35 PM, Yanis Guenane wrote:
> In PuppetOpenstack we have a common set of filesthat are shared across
> all our modules.
> We would like to have an easy way to keep those set of filessynchronized.
> Based on some discussions on #openstack-infra, infra might also be
> interested by this problematic.
>
> They are (at least) two approaches for that matter :
>
>    * The Puppet community have developed a tool specifically for that
> matter called modulesync[1] widely used in the Puppet community. One
> needs to create a repo[2] with a specific layout, and then running msync
> will ensure all files across every modules specified in the
> managed_modules.yml file are synchronized, and if not will create a
> commit to synchronized them.
>
>    * The openstack-infra way : Based on my understanding, we would have
> to create a repo much like this one[3] with all the common files in
> there. puppet_update.sh[4] would need to be modified so that in the for
> loop all the common files are copied and then the regular git workflow
> happens.
>
> The advantage I see relying on modulesync is that all the logic is taken
> care of by modulesync, and the logic of the hook itself holds in one
> line[5], making it pretty simple, to follow, understand and eventually
> debug.
>
> A review have been submitted[6] on infra, relying on a
> propose_msync_update.sh script rather than the propose_update.sh script,
> one of the comment was "I suggest to enhance that file (ie.
> jenkins/scripts/propose_update.sh) instead of creating a new syncing
> setup."
>
> As I see it, using msync and propose_update.sh while keeping the pattern
> it has today is incompatible - as they overlap a lot (projects.txt vs.
> managed_modules.yml, the git worflow, etc..) hence I would rather stick
> with the propose_msync_update.sh patch. Using just the bit of modulesync
> for its templating feature and relying on propose_update.sh for the git
> workflow sounds a bit over complicated here.
>
> Though my hope would be havingboth PuppetOpenstack and Infra to rely on
> the same tooling here as it will make it consistent.I'd like to have
> your feedbacks/ideas, on how best to deal with  that problematic.
>
> Thank you,
>
> [1] https://github.com/puppet-community/modulesync
> [2] https://github.com/openstack/puppet-modulesync-configs
> [3] https://github.com/pabelanger/puppet-modules-sync
> [4]
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/master/jenkins/scripts/propose_update.sh
> [5]
> https://review.openstack.org/gitweb?p=openstack-infra/project-config.git;a=blob;f=jenkins/scripts/propose_msync_update.sh;h=602615f41a6c09741f953e3310bf1512033dde0c;hb=7ff5fa189392709486bc544273a1949ece4da049#l82
> [6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189216

Yanis, thanks for the explanation. This helps to understand what you're
doing. Still I have some questions. I'll also comment in the review with
some specific comments.

Will this script do the same what propose_update.sh does, especially:

* Send a request to gerrit?
* If there is a proposed change already for a project, reuse that one
instead of creating a new one?
* Will msync check out the git repositories itself?

Andreas
    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)