[openstack-dev] [fuel] FF Exception request for Templates for Networking feature

Sergey Vasilenko svasilenko at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 28 09:25:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexander, I don't agree with your statements
>
> >> [1] - I just uses <% and %> to substitute values.
>
> It's what templating is about, you have some text preprocessor to
> substitute values.

Network templates feature don't mean any  "text preprocessor" actions. Only
value substitutions

> >> That is not ERB style template language.
>
> ERB uses the same syntax, hence it Is ERB style.

... hence it looks like ERB. not more.
Not only ruby used for programming. Non only EBD -- is template language. ;)

> >> [2] - We are not using Jinja templating (it is just yaml file, not html
> template), we are using Jinja placeholder substitution.
>
> We *are using* jinja templating (I don't understand why you mention here
> html),
> with all it's features and here is the proof [1].

We don't promise use Junja (or whatever) template language for this feature.
If some jinja features allowed for parsing Network template -- it's a bug.
We should check it and fix it.
Only value substitutions should allow in the network templates.

> >> [3] - Templates are for people who do not care about Jinja/ERB (maybe
> some familiar with Puppet/Chef), so no confusion.
>
> That is not correct, every template has it's own syntax, so people have to
> care about
> specific implementation i.e. Jinja or ERB, and there will be confusion
> when somebody will
> try to use ERB specific features, and she/he will fail because you hide
> Jinja under ERB
> syntax.

I, partially, agree with you. But please honored to following facts:
* In the deployers world used Jinja and ERB syntax.
* ERB used more often, because Ansible (I don't know another popular
deployers tools with Jinja templating) is to young.
* Plenty of syntax features is a really hell.

In the Network templates we don't suppose anything other than a simple
substitution variable values.
All logic of template processing implementing on Nailgun side. Now on the
template parsing, later -- on the network manipulation class.
Allowance of mix template language and Nailgun logic may lead to heavy
diagnostic issues.
Meantime I don't see any cases, where required something more, than
substitution.

/sv