[openstack-dev] [glance] Removing python-swiftclient from requirements.txt

William M Edmonds edmondsw at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 27 21:42:08 UTC 2015

python-swiftclient is only needed by operators that are using the swift
backend, so it really doesn't belong in requirements.txt. Listing it in
requirements forces all operators to install it, even if they're not going
to use the swift backend. When I proposed a change [1] to move this from
requirements to test-requirements (would still be needed there because of
tests using the swift backend), others raised concerns about the impact
this could have on operators who use the swift backend today and would be
upgrading to Liberty. I believe everyone agreed this should not be in
requirements, but the fact is that it has been, so operators may have
(incorrectly) been depending on that during upgrades. If we remove it in
Liberty, and there are changes in Liberty that require a newer version of
swiftclient, how would those operators know that they need to upgrade
swiftclient?

The optional dependencies spec [2] could definitely help here. I don't
think we should have to wait for that, though. This is an issue we
obviously already have today for other backends, which indicates folks can
deal with it without an optional dependencies implementation.

This would be a new concern for operators using the default swift backend,
though. So how do we get the message out to those operators? And do we need
to put out a message about this change in Liberty and then wait until
Mitaka to actually remove this, or can we go ahead and remove in Liberty?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/203242
[2]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/liberty/optional-deps.html

-Matthew