[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Implementation of ABC MetaClasses

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:27:16 UTC 2015

On 14:26 Jul 15, John Griffith wrote:
> ​Ok, so I spent a little time on this; first gathering some detail around
> what's been done as well as proposing a patch to sort of step back a bit
> and take another look at this [1].
>
> Here's some more detail on what is bothering me here:
> * Inheritance model

Some good discussions happened in the Cinder IRC channel today [1] about this.

To sum things up:

1) Cinder has a matrix of optional features.
2) Majority of people in Cinder are OK with the cost of having multiple classes
   representing features that a driver can choose to support.
3) The benefit of this is seeing which drivers support [2] which features.

People are still interested in discussing this at the next Cinder midcycle
sprint [3].

My decision is going to be that unless folks want to go and remove optional
features like consistency group, replication, etc, we need something to keep
track of things. I think there are current problems with the current
implementation [4], and I do see value in John's proposal if we didn't have
these optional features.

[1] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-cinder/%23openstack-cinder.2015-07-27.log.html#t2015-07-27T16:30:28
[2] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/160346/
[3] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Sprints/CinderLibertySprint