[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [app-catalog] TripleO, Advanced Services, and the App Catalog

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Sat Jul 25 20:00:02 UTC 2015

I'm not really sure how to start this conversation so I'll just start in. Please bare with me for a bit.

Something of a problem description:
With my Operator hat on, I've been quite interested in adopting TripleO. Due to many reasons, its been hard for me to to explore as much as I'd like. While time is one reason, another is its kind of monolithic. To try it out, the best way so far has been to try and use it all.

We've been interested in deploying some advanced services on our clouds to add features for our users. Again, due to limited time limitations, I haven't been able to explore as many of them as I would have liked.

Some of the advanced services we've had a chance to play with, to varying degrees are Sahara, Trove, Designate, and Barbican. We'd also like to play with Manilla, Octavia, Murano, Mistral, Magnum, etc. The majority of these services can be deployed in VM's (or Containers) running within the Cloud and then provided through the Cloud.

Proposal:
So that got me thinking. Could the TripleO deployment template set be broken up in such a way that it could be used to augment an existing cloud deployment instead of just deploying a fresh cloud? This would allow Clouds to add advanced features such as Manilla before the Cloud distribution they are running on supports it. Also, to make it easy for this enhancement to be discoverable, they could be added to the application catalog: http://apps.openstack.org. As the App Catalog UI gets integrated further with Horzion, it would make it very easy for Operators to extend their clouds with Advanced services. They would just do a quick search, hit Launch, and fill out a simple form.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin