[openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Streamlining of config options in nova

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Jul 24 20:07:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> One idea I've tossed around a bit is having options defined in data
> files that ship with the code, rather than being inside the Python
> code itself. Maybe a first pass at that would be to offload the
> help to a separate file? If that seems interesting, I could experiment
> with adding some features to oslo.config to support it.

So, that's kind of what I was trying out. One idea was to put the help
strings in a separate module and just reference them in the source code. My
concern however is that if they're not with the code they wont get updated
which things change. Instead, if we move the entire flag people are still
forced to notice the help string and that its wrong when they tweak things.

Its not perfect though, and ideas are very welcome. The basic problem is
that if you try to configure SSL, there are a whole heap of different
options available, and its not clear how they interact and what you need to
twiddle to make things work unless you read the code.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia