[openstack-dev] OPENSTACK with CEPH storage backend cant down size an instance

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jul 24 17:47:27 UTC 2015

Excerpts from James Galvin's message of 2015-07-24 09:08:36 -0700:
> Hi All
>
> I am having some trouble with down sizing an instance,
>
> I can resize the instance from say small flavour to medium flavour but when trying to resize the instance back from medium to small
>
> I get the following :
>
> Error: Failed to perform requested operation on instance "jg-10", the instance has an error status: Please try again later [Error: Flavor's disk is too small for requested image.].
>
> I am using ceph as the storage backend clustered over 3 nodes with 3 pools "volumes" "vms" "images"

In addition to the note already made about reducing filesystem sizes,
I just want to reaffirm that resize is really not the way you want to
be using clouds, and IMO should be removed from Nova (but there's enough
people who disagree with me that it will probably stay).

Anyway, I suggest never using resize, and just deploying new servers,
running tests, and then deleting the old ones. Having cloud with
flexibility and space for this is why you have a cloud.