[openstack-dev] [all] cross project communication: Return request-id to caller

Kekane, Abhishek Abhishek.Kekane at nttdata.com
Fri Jul 24 06:33:00 UTC 2015

Hi Devs,

X-Openstack-Request-Id. We have analysed python-cinderclient, python-glanceclient, python-novaclient, python-keystoneclient and python-neutronclient to check the return types.

There are 9 ways return values are returned from python clients:
1. List
2. Dict
3. Resource class object
4. None
5. Tuple
6. Exception
7. Boolean (True/False, for keystoneclient)
8. Generator (for list api's in glanceclient)
9. String (for novaclient)

Out of 9 we have solution for all return types except generator.
In case of glance-client list api's are returning generator which is immutable. So it is not possible to return request-id in this case, which is a blocker for adopting the solution.

I have added detail analysis for above return types in etherpad [2] as solution #3.

If you have any suggestion in case of generation type then please let me know.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/crossproject/2015/crossproject.2015-07-07-21.01.log.html
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/request-id

Thanks & Best Regards,

Abhishek Kekane

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence
for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged,
confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient,
please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete
and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying
or forwarding.