[openstack-dev] [Neutron][L3] Representing a networks connected by routers

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:45:05 UTC 2015

>We ran in to this long ago.

What are some other examples? We've be good about keeping the network L2
only. Segments, VLAN transparency, and other properties of the network are
all L2.

The example you gave about needing the network to see the grouping of
subnets isn't the network leaking into L3, it's subnets requiring an L2
container. Networks don't depend on subnets, subnets depend on networks. I
would rather look at making that dependency nullable and achieving your
grouping another way (e.g. subnetpool).

The issue I have with the routed network it's using a network but it
ignores any of the properties of the network model because they are L2. So
now we have an API that stops making sense for one of the object types
(e.g. what would vlan transparency or mtu do on a routed network?), which
is something I don't want to see.