[openstack-dev] [nova] Status of identity v3 support

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 14:16:22 UTC 2015

On 07/23/2015 10:08 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 7/22/2015 10:18 PM, Adam Young wrote:
>> On 07/15/2015 06:38 PM, melanie witt wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> Recently I have started reviewing the patch series about nested
>>> quotas in nova [1] and I'm having trouble understanding where we
>>> currently are with identity v3 support in nova. From what I read in
>>> a semi recent proposal [2] I think things mostly "just work" if you
>>> configure to run with v3, but there are some gaps.
>>>
>>> Nested quotas use the concept of parent/child projects in keystone
>>> v3 to allow parent projects to delegate quota management to
>>> subprojects. This means we'd start getting requests with a token
>>> scoped to the parent project to modify quota of a child project.
>>
>> Don't think of it as a nested project, in this case...The project that
>> is having its quota set is a resource inside the project that the user
>> authenticated in as.
>>

>> If Parent -> child...you should not be able to scope to anything but the
>> parent project in order to be able to set the quota for child.
>>
>> But, you should not be able to do anything inside of child with a token
>> scoped to parent.
>>
>> The one place this gets tricky is that every project should be able to
>> query its own quota.  But that is true now, is it not?
>
> You can, the default policy for show is admin_or_owner:
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/etc/nova/policy.json?id=12.0.0.0b1#n333

So, this is a manifaestation of "Admin" ness not properly scoped
https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/968696

Note that it does not say "admin on the project" but rather "admin
anywhere" which is endmic throughout opentstack, and something we are
working to fix.

Policy rules that do not explicitly match scope for every token need to
be rewritten to scope them properly.

>>> [3]https://review.openstack.org/182140/