[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Get rid of fuelmenu

Matthew Mosesohn mmosesohn at mirantis.com
Thu Jul 23 13:05:42 UTC 2015

How much effort are we spending? I'm not so sure it's a major development drain.

Since Fuel 6.0 dev cycle (Sept 2014) until now there have been 34
commits into Fuelmenu:
* New features/functionality: 12
* Bugfix: 15
* Other: 7 (version bumps, and commits without bug ID)

Across 3 releases, that's only ~11 commits per release. We've added
features like generating random passwords for services, warnings about
setting credentials apart from the default, adding a hook for CI for
testing custom manifests on Fuel Master, and duplicate IP address
checks.

These improved user experience. If you take it away and replace it
with a config file with basic validation, we will see users fail to
deploy due to things that Fuelmenu already checks easily. Imagine
you're an existing user of Fuel and suddenly you install the newest
version of Fuel and see a large configuration file which you have to
set by hand. Here's a relic of what users used to have to configure by
hand:
https://github.com/stackforge/fuel-library/blob/b015ed975b58dddff3b8da0ce34d9a638c22d032/deployment/puppet/openstack/examples/site_simple.pp

Am I alone in thinking it's not the best use of our development
resources to throw it away and replace it with a text file that is
edited by hand?