[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Question about unique default hostname for node

Fedor Zhadaev fzhadaev at mirantis.com
Wed Jul 22 13:28:01 UTC 2015

Thanks for your answers.

Let me clarify some points:

Sure, we have to validate hostnames during node renaming. And sure we do
it. This issue appears when we already have node with name 'node-X' and new
node is created without providing custom name. I'll give you the example:

1. User has node with hostname 'node-4' (with ID = 4; and there no nodes
with ID > 4) ;
2. He renames it in 'node-5' (this name is correct and unique. OK)
3. He adds new node without providing custom hostname.
    New node gets ID = 5 (it's primary key and increments automatically)
and default hostname 'node-5'. (Here we have a problem with uniqueness.)

It will be strange if we refuse to create node with default name if
somebody has renamed another node using this name.

About nodes hostnames. Actually we can't refuse to use custom hostnames in
format 'node-{#}' because it is one of the main use cases. So we need to
find the solution which accepts such renaming.

> Hi guys,
>
> @Sergii, it looks like you misunderstood something. `node-uuid` is not
> a general use case. It's only about conflicting nodes, and I'm sure
> everyone's going to change such a hostname in order to avoid
> confusion.
>
> @Andrew,
>
> a) Database refuses hostnames that break unique constraint, sot it'll
> work out-of-box.
>
> b) I like this idea. I think refusing `node-id` where `id` is not
> actually a node id is good idea. It solves our problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Igor
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Sergii Golovatiuk
> <sgolovatiuk at mirantis.com> wrote:
> > node-uuid is very terrible from UX perspective of view. Ask support
> people
> > if they are comfortable to ssh such nodes or telling the name in phone
> > conversation with customer. If we cannot validate FQDN of hostname I
> would
> > slip this feature to next release where we can pay more attention to
> > details.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Sergii Golovatiuk,