[openstack-dev] [Neutron] AGAIN HELP CONFIRM OR DISCUSS:create a port when network contain ipv4 subnets and ipv6 subnets, allocate ipv6 address to the port.

Sridhar Gaddam sgaddam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 22 11:48:05 UTC 2015

Hello ZhaoBo,

The short summary of the BP [1] is that when a network contains an IPv6
SLAAC/dhcpv6-stateless subnet, we use RADVD daemon to advertise the
prefix. RADVD deamon periodically advertises the prefix info which is a
"multicast message" received by all the hosts/VMs on the network. When
an ipv6-capable host/VM receives this Router Advertisement message, it
would generate and configure an EUI-64 IPv6 address (derived via the
prefix and interface MAC address) to its interface.

I understand your concern saying that you only specified an IPv4 address
for the port but you got IPv6 address as well.
This is because..
1. You have IPv6 subnets as part of the same network
2. The nature in which SLAAC works and is implemented in Neutron.

Basically, even if Neutron does not include the IPv6 address in the port
information, the VM port would be having the IPv6 address configured on
its interface. Since the port would anyway have the IPv6 address,
Neutron includes the IPv6 addresses (i.e., SLAAC/DHCPv6-Stateless) for
the user to be aware of the list of addresses on the port.

Please note that this behavior is only for IPv6 subnets configured with
SLAAC/DHCPv6-Stateless and not for DHCPv6 Stateful subnets.

Regarding the floating-ip behavior, the issue is recently fixed with the
following patch - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/198908/
[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/kilo/multiple-ipv6-prefixes.html#proposed-change

Regards,