[openstack-dev] [Neutron][L3] Representing a networks connected by routers

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Tue Jul 21 22:55:18 UTC 2015

On 21 July 2015 at 12:11, John Belamaric <jbelamaric at infoblox.com> wrote:

>  Wow, a lot to digest in these threads. If I can summarize my
> understanding of the two proposals. Let me know whether I get this right.
> There are a couple problems that need to be solved:
>
>   a. Scheduling based on host reachability to the segments

So actually this is something Assaf and I were debating on IRC, and I think
it depends what you're aiming for.

Imagine you have connectivity for a 'network' to every host, but that
connectivity only works if you get a host-specific address because the
address range is different per host.  This seems to be the use case we come
back to.  (There's a corner case of this where the network is not available
on every host and that gets you different requirements, but for now, this.)

You *can* use the current mechanism: allocate address, schedule, run -
providing your scheduler respects the address you've been allocated and
puts you on a host that can reach this address.  This is a silly approach.
You can't tell when getting the address (for a port that is entirely
disassociated from the VM it's going to be attached to, via Neutron when
most of the scheduling constraints live in Nova) that the address is on a
machine that can even run the VM.

You can delay address allocation - then the machine can be scheduled
anywhere because the address it has is not a constraint.  This saves any
change to scheduling at all - normal scheduling rules apply, excepting the
case where addresses are exhausted on that machine, and in that case we'd
probably use the retry mechanism as a fallback to find a better place until
someone works out it's not really just a *nova* scheduler.

>  b. Floating IP functionality across the segments. I am not sure I am
> clear on this one but it sounds like you want the routers attached to the
> segments to advertise routes to the specific floating IPs. Presumably then
> they would do NAT or the instance would assign both the fixed IP and the
> floating IP to its interface?

That's the summary.  And I don't think anyone is clear on this and I also
don't know that anyone has specifically requested this.

In Proposal 1, (a) is solved by associating segments to the front network
> via a router - that association is used to provide a single hook into the
> existing API that limits the scope of segment selection to those associated
> with the front network. (b) is solved by tying the floating IP ranges to
> the same front network and managing the reachability with dynamic routing.
>
>  In Proposal 2, (a) is solved by tagging each network with some meta-data
> that the IPAM system uses to make a selection.

The distinction is actually pretty small.  The same backing data exists for
the IPAM to use - the difference is only that in (1) it's there as a misuse
of networks and in (2) it's not specified.

> This implies an IP allocation request that passes something other than a
> network/port to the IPAM subsystem.

This is where I started - there is nothing to pass when I run 'neutron
port-create' except for a network and this is where address allocation
happens today.  We need a mechanism to defer address allocation and
indicate that the port has no address right now.

> This fine from the IPAM point of view but there is no corresponding API
> for this right now. To solve (b) either the IPAM system has to publish the
> routes

It needs to ensure there's enough information on the port that the network
controller can push the routes, is the way I think of it.

> or the higher level management has to ALSO be aware of the mappings
> (rather than just IPAM).
>
>  To throw some fuel on the fire, I would argue also that (a) is not
> sufficient and address availability needs to be considered as well (as
> described in [1]). Selecting a host based on reachability alone will fail
> when addresses are exhausted. Similarly, with (b) I think there needs to be
> consideration during association of a floating IP to the effect on routing.
> That is, rather than a huge number of host routes it would be ideal to
> allocate the floating IPs in blocks that can be associated with the backing
> networks (though we would want to be able to split these blocks as small as
> a /32 if necessary - but avoid it/optimize as much as possible).

Again - the scheduler is simplistic and nova-centric as things stand, and I
think we all recgonise this.  The current fallbacks work, but they're
fallbacks.

In fact, I think that these proposals are more or less the same - it's just
> in #1 the meta-data used to tie the backing networks together is another
> network.

Yup.

> This allows it to fit in neatly with the existing APIs. You would still
> need to implement something prior to IPAM or within IPAM that would select
> the appropriate backing network.
>
>  As a (gulp) third alternative, we should consider that the front network
> here is in essence a layer 3 domain, and we have modeled layer 3 domains as
> address scopes in Liberty. The user is essentially saying "give me an
> address that is routable in this scope" - they don't care which actual
> subnet it gets allocated on. This is conceptually more in-line with [2] -
> modeling L3 domain separately from the existing Neutron concept of a
> network being a broadcast domain.

Again, the issue is that when you ask for an address you tend to have quite
a strong opinion of what that address should be if it's location-specific.

> Fundamentally, however we associate the segments together, this comes down
> to a scheduling problem.

It's not *solely* a scheduling problem, and that is my issue with this
statement (Assaf has been saying the same).  You *can* solve this
*exclusively* with scheduling (allocate the address up front, hope that the
address has space for a VM with all its constraints met) - but that
solution is horrible; or you can solve this largely with allocation where
scheduling helps to deal with pool exchaustion, where it is mainly another
sort of problem but scheduling plays a part.

Nova needs to be able to incorporate data from Neutron in its scheduling