[openstack-dev] [Neutron] HELP CONFIRM OR DISCUSS:create a port when network contain ipv4 subnets and ipv6 subnets, allocate ipv6 address to the port.

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Mon Jul 20 12:01:32 UTC 2015

I am not completely sure, but I believe that the primary associations
are that:

- a port is attached to a particular network

- a network may have an IPv4 subnet and/or an IPv6 subnet

- therefore, when a port is created, it gets an IPv4 address, and/or an
IPv6 address, according to the subnets that are associated with the network.

Then the question is: what difference does it make if you add
"--fixed-ip subnet_id=$[ipv4_subnet_id]" to your port creation command?

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that.  However I do know that
you can use "neutron port-update --fixed-ip ..." to _add_ an additional
IP address to an existing port.  Therefore, and also considering your
observations, I would guess that the effect of "--fixed_ip ..." is
always strictly additional to the basic IP address allocation behaviour
that you get based on the network and subnet associations.

Hope that may help...

     Neil