[openstack-dev] Python 3: 5 more projects with a py34 voting gate, only 4 remaing

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 11:32:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

We are close to having a voting py34 gate on all OpenStack libraries and
applications. I just made the py34 gate voting for the 5 following projects:

* keystone
* heat
* glance_store: Glance library (py34 is already voting in Glance)
* os-brick: Cinder library (py34 is already voting in Cinder)
* sqlalchemy-migrate

A voting py34 gate means that we cannot reintroduce Python 3 regressions
in the code tested by "tox -e py34". Currently, only a small subset of
test suites is executed on Python 3.4, but the subset is growing
constantly and it already helps to detect various kinds of Python 3 issues.

Sirushti Murugesan (who is porting Heat to Python 3) and me proposed a
talk "Python 3 is coming!" to the next OpenStack Summit at Tokyo. We
will explain the plan to port OpenStack to Python in depth.

There are only 4 remaining projects without py34 voting gate:

(1) swift: I sent patches, see the "Fix tox -e py34" patch:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/swift+branch:master+topic:py3,n,z

(2) horizon: I sent patches:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/porting-python3+project:openstack/horizon,n,z

(3) keystonemiddleware: blocked by python-memcached, I sent a pull
request 3 months ago and I'm still waiting...

https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/pull/67

I may fork the project if the maintainer never reply. Read the current
thread "[all] Non-responsive upstream libraries (python34 specifically)"
on openstack-dev.

(4) python-savannaaclient: "We haven't enough tests to ensure that
savanna client works correctly on py33, so, it's kind of premature step.
We already have py33 and pypy jobs in experimental pipeline." This
client can be ported later.

Note: The py34 gate of oslo.messaging is currently non voting because of
a bug in Python 3.4.0, fix not backported to Ubuntu Trusty LTS yet:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python3.4/+bug/1367907

The bug was fixed in Python 3.4 in May 2014 and was reported to Ubuntu
in September 2014.

Victor