[openstack-dev] [magnum] [nova] Magnum template manage use platform VS others as a type?

Kai Qiang Wu wkqwu at cn.ibm.com
Fri Jul 17 02:22:43 UTC 2015

Hi Fox and Adrian,

Let me summarize,

1) We all agree to replace 'platform' word to  'server_type' (let's not
discuss this anymore)

2) For bay-creation now in magnum,

We pass it to baymodel.

Cloud Operators created lots of baymodels, maybe, like
kubernets-vm-baymodel,  kubernetes-baremetal-baymodel.

Cloud Users just select what kinds of baymodels they like(or they can
create themselves, which depend on policy files)

For example,
magnum baymodel-create --name k8sbaymodel \
                       --image-id fedora-21-atomic-3 \
                       --keypair-id testkey \
                       --external-network-id ${NIC_ID} \
                       --dns-nameserver 8.8.8.8 \
                       --flavor-id m1.small \
                       --docker-volume-size 5 \
                       --coe kubernetes

One question for if user want to create a kubernetes-baremetal-baymodel, he
should input flavor-id with baremetal flavor.

Magnum template selection now:
    baymodel = conductor_utils.retrieve_baymodel(context, bay)
    cluster_distro = baymodel.cluster_distro
    cluster_coe = baymodel.coe
    definition = TDef.get_template_definition('vm', cluster_distro,
                                              cluster_coe)

You can find 'vm' is hardcode now, since ironic template not fully
supported before. When I introduce ironic templates management. My first
thought is here 'vm' should be code with baymodel.server_type.
So I propose to create baymodel with one parameter --server_type baremetal
(default is 'vm', if user not specified).

This solution is simple, I think not make cloud-users confused.
For example, if user want to deploy baremetal. they need specify baremeatl
flavor. If they not know which flavor is baremetal, how can they boot
baremetal instances?
If they know they used baremetal flavor, they also know server_type is
'baremetal', not 'vm'. It seems not complicated.

The nova support now for ironic, it needs customized flavors. need some
metadata input. You can not boot successfully baremetal instance with
m1.small flavors I think, as nova scheduling would thought it is not right.

3) For you suppose use nova flavor,

    definition = TDef.get_template_definition('vm', cluster_distro,
                                              cluster_coe)

Replace 'vm' to be with
   if  baymodel.flavor.metadata['***'],
            server_type = 'baremeatal'
   else
            server_type = 'vm'

    definition = TDef.get_template_definition(server_type, cluster_distro,
                                              cluster_coe)

I think it seems not stable, Because 'vm' flavor can also have metadata.
Does 'baremetal' metadatas have consistent tagging(officially released) ?
(for x86, arm. power arch all applies)

I am open to use flavors to detect baremetal or 'vm', if metadata has
consistent reliable fields.

Thanks!

Best Wishes,
Kai Qiang Wu (吴开强  Kennan)
IBM China System and Technology Lab, Beijing

E-mail: wkqwu at cn.ibm.com
Tel: 86-10-82451647
Address: Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
         No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China
100193
            platform VS others as a type?

Adrian,

I know for sure you can attach key=value metadata to the flavors. I just
looked up in the admin guide, (
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/customize-flavors.html)
and it mentions that the extra_specs key=value pairs are just used for
scheduling though. :/

So, Nova would have to be extended to support a non scheduled type of
metadata (That could be useful for other things too...), but doesn't seem
to exist today.

One other possibility would be, if a nova scheduling filter can remove
things from the extra_specs metadata before it hits the next plugin, we
could slide in a MagnumFilter at the beginning of scheduler_default_filters
that removes the magnum_server_type entry. Looking through the code, I
think it would work, but makes me feel a little dirty too. I've attached an
example that might be close to working for that... Maybe the Nova folks
would like to weigh in if its a good plan or not?

But, if the filter doesn't fly, then for Liberty it looks like your config
option plan seems to be the best way to go.

I like the plan, especially the default flavor/image. That should make it
much easier to use if the user trusts what the admin setup for them. Nice
and easy. :)

Thanks,
Kevin

class MagnumFilter(filters.BaseHostFilter):
      def host_passes(self, host_state, filter_properties):
        try:
          del filter_properties
['instance_type']['extra_specs']['magnum_server_type']
        except:
          pass
        return True