[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Getting rid of upgrade tarball

Vladimir Kozhukalov vkozhukalov at mirantis.com
Thu Jul 16 10:50:49 UTC 2015

Oleg,

All docker containers currently are distributed as rpm packages. A little
bit surprising, isn't it? But it works and we can easily deliver updates
using this old plain rpm based mechanism. The package in 6.1GA is called
fuel-docker-images-6.1.0-1.x86_64.rpm So, upgrade flow would be like this
0) add new (say 7.0) repository into /etc/yum.repos.d/some.repo
1) install fuel-upgrade package (yum install fuel-upgrade-7.0)
2) fuel-upgrade package has all other packages (docker, bootstrap image,
target images, puppet modules) as its dependencies
3) run fuel-upgrade script (say /usr/bin/fuel-upgrade) and it performs all
necessary actions like moving files, run new containers, upload fixtures
into nailgun via REST API.

It is necessary to note that we are talking here about Fuel master node
upgrades, not about Openstack cluster upgrades (which is the feature you
are working on).

Vladimir Kozhukalov