[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal for an Experiment

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jul 15 17:40:38 UTC 2015

What you describe is a spike. It's a grand plan, and you don't need
anyone's permission, so huzzah for the spike!

As far as what should be improved, I hear a lot that having multiple
schedulers does not scale well, so I'd suggest that as a primary target
(maybe measure the _current_ problem, and then set the target as a 10x
improvement over what we have now).

Things to consider while pushing on that goal:

* Do not backslide the resilience in the system. The code is just now
starting to be fault tolerant when talking to RabbitMQ, so make sure
to also consider how tolerant of failures this will be. Cassandra is
typically chosen for its resilience and performance, but Cassandra does
a neat trick in that clients can switch its CAP theorem profile from
Consistent and Available (but slow) to Available and Performant when
reading things. That might be useful in the context of trying to push
the performance _UP_ for schedulers, while not breaking anything else.

* Consider the cost of introducing a brand new technology into the
deployer space. If there _is_ a way to get the desired improvement with,
say, just MySQL and some clever sharding, then that might be a smaller
pill to swallow for deployers.

Anyway, I wish you well on this endeavor and hope to see your results
soon!

Excerpts from Ed Leafe's message of 2015-07-15 07:18:42 -0700: