[openstack-dev] Why do we need python-fasteners and not just oslo.concurrency?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Wed Jul 15 15:26:59 UTC 2015

For the same reason we don't move all of sqlalchemy into oslo.db.

This is further explained @

- https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/CreatingANewLibrary#Choosing_a_Name

-
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/policy/naming-libraries.html#proposed-policy

Taskflow, tooz and others were designed to not just be 'production
runtime dependencies of OpenStack projects' (I know they are used
elsewhere in non-openstack projects); so this is why fasteners was split
off, so it can be used by the wider world (taskflow, tooz,
oslo.concurrency now depend on fasteners and use it).

-Josh