[openstack-dev] [Nova] Virtual device role tagging

Artom Lifshitz alifshit at redhat.com
Wed Jul 15 02:00:12 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'd like to get the conversation started around a spec that my colleague Dan
Berrange has proposed to the backlog.

The spec [1] solves the problem of passing information about virtual devices
into an instance.

For example, in an instance with multiple network interfaces, each connected to
profoundly different networks, software running inside the instance needs to
know each NIC's role. Similarly, in an instance with multiple disks, each
intended for different a usage, software inside the instance needs to know each
disk's role.

I feel like a lot of discussion will happen around this spec before it can
be merged - hopefully in the M cycle - so I'm requesting comments and
suggestions very early ;)

Thanks all!

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/195662/1