[openstack-dev] OpenStack Mitaka (三鷹) - Our next release name has been selected

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Jul 14 18:47:50 UTC 2015

Hi everybody!

Ok. There is nothing more actually useful I can say that isn't in the
subject line. As I mentioned previously, the preliminary results from
our name election are here:

http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_4983776e190c8dbc

As you are all probably aware by now, as a follow on step, the OpenStack
Foundation staff assessed the names chosen for legal risk in the order
we ranked them. The first two had significant identified problems so we
skipped them. The third had no legal problems, but after announcing it
as the choice, it came to light that there were significant social
issues surrounding the name.

The fourth on the list, Mitaka (三鷹) is clear.

So please join me in welcoming the latest name to our family ... and if
you, like me, are not a native Japanese speaker, in learning two (more)
new characters.

I'd also like to thank everyone in our community for understanding. As
we try our best to be an inclusive worldwide community, the
opportunities for unwitting missteps are vast and ultimately probably
unavoidable. Being able to recognize and deal with them and learn from
them as they occur makes me proud of who we are and what we've become.

Thanks!
Monty