[openstack-dev] [all] Time to remove Python2.6 jobs from master

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Tue Jul 14 18:10:30 UTC 2015

Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:

> On 07/14/2015 01:46 AM, Perry, Sean wrote:
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Doug Hellmann
>>> [mailto:doug at doughellmann.com] Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:41
>>> PM To: openstack-dev Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [all] Time to
>>> remove Python2.6 jobs from master
>>>
>>> Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2015-07-14 09:05:43
>>> +1200:

>>> I don't *want* to keep 2.6 support around, and I do understand
>>> that the requirements work will be made easier.  I'm just trying
>>> to understand what other impact dropping it will have.
>>>
>> It will break RHEL 5 (maybe early 6 too) and older RH systems.
>> Ubuntu older than 9 I think (which is beyond unsupported). Not sure
>> about other Linux dists.
>>
>> Basically if RHEL 5 is no longer a valid target and we are sure all
>> of the 6s have updated then let's nuke it from orbit.
>>

> I don't believe there was any release of RHEL-OSP that targeted RHEL
> 5. As for RHEL 6, the last version that got support for it was OSP5
> which is based on Icehouse.
>
> Speaking of RDO, there were attempts to get nova pieces of Juno
> backported to RHEL 6 (mostly for CERN). Other than that, I don't think
> anyone considers to run anything Kilo+ on RHEL 6, and it will probably
> fail to work properly since a lot of underlying platform components in
> RHEL 6 would be not ready for new features. (RHEL-OSP could
> potentially get all the needed pieces in place, but there was a
> decision not to go this route and instead require RHEL 7 for anything
> Juno+).

Just a side-note, people have gotten kilo+ to run on RHEL6.x using
virtualenvs and SCL python2.7 using http://anvil.readthedocs.org/ so
it's not out of the realm of possible ;)

Not everyone can upgrade to RHEL7.x 'in a jiffy' when u have a large
cloud with a ton of RHEL6.x hypervisors that people rely on, eventually
it will happen, but not always so quickly ;)