[openstack-dev] [magnum][bp] Power Magnum to run on metal withHyper

Peng Zhao peng at hyper.sh
Tue Jul 14 03:37:56 UTC 2015

Thanks Adrian!

Hi, all,

Let me recap what is hyper and the idea of hyperstack.

Hyper is a single-host runtime engine. Technically,
Docker = LXC + AUFS
Hyper = Hypervisor + AUFS
where AUFS is the Docker image. Due to the shared-kernel nature of LXC, Docker lacks of the necessary isolation in a multi-tenant CaaS platform, and this is what Hyper/hypervisor is good at.

And because of this, most CaaS today run on top of IaaS: https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55545e127c7cbe0ec5b82f2b/388x275/e286dea1266b46c1999d566b0f9e326b/iaas.png
Hyper enables the native, secure, bare-metal CaaS  https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55545e127c7cbe0ec5b82f2b/395x244/828ad577dafb3f357e95899e962651b2/caas.png

From the tech stack perspective, Hyperstack turns Magnum o run in parallel with Nova, not running on atop.

Best,