[openstack-dev] [all] Setting epoch in setup.cfg??

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jul 13 20:58:09 UTC 2015

On 7/13/15, 15:09, "Dave Walker" <email at daviey.com> wrote:

>On 13 Jul 2015 8:52 pm, "Ian Cordasco" <ian.cordasco at rackspace.com> wrote:
>> On 7/13/15, 03:38, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
><SNIP>
>> >By "counter-productive", I meant: likely to generate more confusion
>>than
>> >clarity. If you provide an epoch in the version and it doesn't match
>> >downstream packagers ones, it's hard to rely on it.
>>
>> I see what you mean now. The thing is that for Debian/Fedora the epoch
>> syntax is different from PEP 440
>>
>> For them it's
>>
>> [distro-epoch]:[upstream-version][otherstuff]
>>
>> PEP 440 epochs are separated by a !, so let's say $(distro) has an epoch
>> value of "1" and we choose "2", for glance the version would look ugly
>>but
>> would be:
>>
>> 1:2!11.0.0
>>
><SNIP>
>This would be a problem for at least Ubuntu and Debian as the version
>string is specifically not allowed to contain a '!'.
>"The upstream_version may contain only alphanumerics and the characters .
>+- : ~ (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon, tilde) and should start with a
>digit." [0]

Thanks for the input Dave. I didn't see that part since I was specifically
looking for how epochs are denoted. I still am quite certain that we have
no choice but to use the proper versioning tools upstream though and that
means using ! to indicate the epoch in our version strings because these
are fundamentally Python packages.

>Therefore, these distro's would need to increment the distro epoch if the
>upstream version (without the upstream epoch) is lower than the version
>currently in their archives.
>I am not sure how rpm based distro's handle '!' in the upstream version.

In other words, if Debian/Ubuntu currently have Glance versioned:

  1:2015.1.0

They'll be doing

  2:8.0.0

For Liberty?