[openstack-dev] [Neutron] New Neutron subproject for a Neutron backed Docker remote networking driver

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Thu Jul 9 14:41:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Antoni Segura Puimedon <
toni+openstackml at midokura.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> As the subject says, we are starting a new Neutron subproject that
> aims to service the Docker Container Network Model[1]  by leveraging
> Neutron in a way similar to how Nova does.

This is very cool!

> So far, while we set up a subproject, we have a repo[2] where you can
> see a bit more explanation about what the goals are. The idea is that
> we'd have different Docker plumbing (connecting the Docker instances
> into the overlay) images for different l2 agents.For example, we'd
> have
>
>     neutron/project_name:ovs
> and
>     neutron/project_name:midonet
>
> When you'd start one of those docker images (there'll be shell scripts
> for starting them with what they require and also probably a sample
> systemd service), it will register with docker and create Neutron
> networks and port types with the image flavor (ovs|midonet in the
> example above).

Nice!

> So far the project is nameless. I'd like to have some proposed names
> so that we can vote and create the subproject.

Do we need a name for this? Is the goal to move the work into the Neutron
Stadium? If so, you can do that by proposing the new repository in
project-config and we'll add it there. If we're naming things, I'm with Gal
in that Kuryr sounds fine.

Thanks!
Kyle