[openstack-dev] Rescinding the M name decision

Somanchi Trinath trinath.somanchi at freescale.com
Thu Jul 9 05:48:11 UTC 2015

My Vote to "Mita" . :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Monty Taylor [mailto:mordred at inaugust.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 8:10 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions); Openstack Users
Subject: [openstack-dev] Rescinding the M name decision

Hi everyone!

In light of issues raised concerning the initially selected name for the M release (Meiji), that name will not be used.

It turns out fully open community and fully inclusive collaboration is a hard thing to get right. On the one hand, we do not want to exclude anyone's input or contribution. On the other hand, we do not want the result of that openness to result in effective exclusion or seeming persecution of a minority group.

We tried very hard with this naming election to ensure that everyone was able to participate in nominations, and that everyone was able to participate in elections without the sense that someone had arbitrarily limited anyone else's contribution unduly.

There are ways in which this was successful and ways in which is was not. Clearly the cultural and historical connotations of this choice are an area where the democratic process did not serve us, and I expect us to circle back and do work to figure out how to do better in our next iteration.

The foundation team is doing legal due diligence on the next set of names in the list below (#4-6) and we expect to have an update within a week. If anyone has concerns about any of these potential choices, please raise them now.

1. Mita (三田)  (Condorcet winner: wins contests with all other choices) 2. Minato (港)  loses to Mita (三田) by 954–913 3. Meiji (明治)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1034–873, loses to Minato (港)
by 1052–879
4. Mitaka (三鷹)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1094–702, loses to Meiji (明
治) by 1012–870
5. Musashi (武蔵)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1093–829, loses to Mitaka (三
鷹) by 971–892
6. Meguro (目黒)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1137–690, loses to Musashi (武
蔵) by 958–872
7. Minami (みなみ)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1183–621, loses to Meguro
(目黒) by 858–857
8. Mejiro (目白)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1294–485, loses to Minami (み
なみ) by 990–658
9. Mizuho (瑞穂)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1338–421, loses to Mejiro (目
白) by 905–625
10. Musashino (武蔵野)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1472–305, loses to Mizuho (瑞穂) by 1034–456 11. Marunouchi (丸の内)  loses to Mita (三田) by 1505–275, loses to Musashino (武蔵野) by 931–481

Monty