[openstack-dev] [requirements] attention requirements-cores, please look out for constraints updates

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jul 8 13:44:59 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2015-07-08 11:01:39 +0200:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > We've finally gotten all the kinks worked out and now
> > upper-constraints proposals should be coming in daily.
> >
> > *** These are timely and important: without them, no new releases of
> > *anything* are consumed. ***
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/199353/ is an example.
> >
> > They are all in the topic
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:openstack/requirements/constraints,n,z
> >
> > (there is only ever one at a time at the moment, proposed to our
> > master requirements repo). After liberty branches there may be
> > multiple ones open - one per release of OpenStack that uses
> > constraints files.
> >
> > I'm putting all this into the documentation too, of course.
>
> I'm wondering if we should not refresh them less often. Some of those
> will trigger some discussion before approval, and having them constantly
> wiped out by new patchsets that add one or two extra bumps is, IMHO,
> counter-productive...
>
> How about we generate those once per week, before Monday starts ? Then
> we can process them during the week and end up discussing the same
> thing, rather than a moving target.
>
> (We have other things that are refreshed regularly and it's always a
> race to gather enough approvals before they are regenerated -- I fail to
> see the benefit of daily refresh vs. weekly refresh here)

Weekly seems good.

Do the updates only look for third-party packages, or are they going to
be picking up releases from within the community, too? Do we want
community releases handled separately, since there should be less
discussion of those?

Doug