[openstack-dev] Thoughts on ReleaseNoteImpact git commit message tag

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jul 8 10:13:20 UTC 2015

Matt Riedemann wrote:
> [...]
> So we kicked around the idea of a ReleaseNoteImpact tag so that we can
> search for those at the end of the release in addition to UpgradeImpact.

I like the idea -- could be a commit message tag or waiting for the wiki
update to approve (as Dan suggested), I think both would work.

As a sidenote, we are reconsidering stable release notes with the plan
we came up with for stable branches[1] (we decided to switch to
versioning and releasing every stable branch commit). To produce valid
release notes for any of those, we need to autogenerate them and ship
them as part of the tarball.

That means for stable branches we'll need a way to specify release notes
snippets in the git repository itself. Something like a header in commit
messages that would get added as a bullet point to the auto-generated
release notes in the tarball.

We still need to discuss the details, but maybe whatever we come up with
for stable branches could be reusable for master branches in the future.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-July/068400.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)