[openstack-dev] Cinder as generic volume manager

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:08:21 UTC 2015

This is entirely possible, and is one of the aims of cinder-agent, though
that has somewhat stalled due to Ironic having different design goals.

You should be able to write a simple client that calls reserve,
initialize_connection and parses the result for taget info - if you want it
to work with fibrechannel, DRDB, ceph etc then there'll be a bit more work,
but the basic iSCSI taget info is simple enough. You might want to talk to
Walt (Hemna on IRC #openstack-cinder) about how much of this is now covered
by brick / cinder-agent.

On 7 July 2015 at 16:25, Jan Safranek <jsafrane at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to (mis-)use Cinder outside of OpenStack, i.e. without Nova.
>
> I can easily create/manage volumes themselves, Cinder API is pretty
> friendly here. Now, how can I attach a volume somewhere? Something like
> (=anything) instead of <server> (=virtual machine inside OpenStack).
>
> I guess I am not the first one to ask for such feature, has anyone tried
> it?
>
> Would it be possible to separate a new library from Nova, which would
> just attach the volume to the host where it is runnig and mark the
> volume as 'in-use'? How hard would it be?
>
> Jan

Duncan Thomas