[openstack-dev] Should project name be uppercase or lowercase?

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Tue Jul 7 12:24:00 UTC 2015

On 7 July 2015 at 13:11, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Yuiko Takada wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I found the difference between wiki[1] and governance[2].
>> wiki says "Generally the capitalization of the project team names like
>> swift is lowercase."
>> But in governance, written as uppercase like "Nova", "Swift".
>>
>> How do you think which should we use uppercase vs lowercase for
>> representing project names?
>
> My personal take on it is that the project names (or the code
> repositories) are lowercase: "nova", or "openstack/nova".
>
> The *project team* name is capitalized: "the Nova project team".
>
> I'm sure that Anne has a pretty strong position on that, though :)

This makes entire sense to me.  I assumed that when used
programmatically (or repositroy names) it should be in lowercase
(unless a class name), when in prose it should be uppercase.

For a recent documentation change, I put a project names capitalised
which feels entirely appropriate as it is a proper noun.  However,
review requested that it followed documentation convention[0] of using
lower case so I amended it to follow.

I am interested to hear why the convention in documentation for it to
be lower case.

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions#Service_and_project_names

--
Kind Regards,