[openstack-dev] [horizon] Modifying existing dashboards with plugins

Skyler Berg sberg at tintri.com
Mon Jul 6 23:23:29 UTC 2015

I am considering making a plugin for Horizon which will add additional
information to existing dashboards. For example, the plugin may add a
new column to a table in a table in the instances dashboard. I have not
found a standard method for plugins to do this. The plugin support I
have found only allows for adding new dashboards and panels [1] as far
as I can tell.

There is currently a way to change any part of openstack_dashboard with
a customization module [2]. However, this does not appear to be designed
for plugins. Since only one customization module can be specified, it is
not a good fit for plugin developers, because users would be limited to
one plugin that uses this mechanism.

I am wondering if there is a way to have plugins modify existing
dashboards currently that I am overlooking. If not, should there be?

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/topics/settings.html#pluggable-settings-label
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/topics/customizing.html#modifying-existing-dashboards-and-panels