[openstack-dev] [kolla] Providing image specific build info

Paul Bourke paul.bourke at oracle.com
Fri Jul 3 10:10:37 UTC 2015

All,

As part of the install-from-source blueprint, I'm proposing a basic
script that can fetch tarballs in various ways, the result of which is
installed as part of the image build. This script is for review here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197919/

This requires a couple of variables, most of which can be provided sane
defaults. Defaults for some info can't be reasonably determined though,
so my question is what peoples preferences are on how to best represent
this info. Examples include the CLONE_FROM var (git url to clone a repo
from), or whether the component should be built from source at all, e.g.
keystone should be built from source but rabbitmq likely not.

One possible method is to include a .builddefaults file in each image
dir, which specifies this kind of image specific build info, but can
still be overridden by users in buildconfs. Another would be to have
this same info in a top level config file, which would keep the info
together and easier to find and update.

Please let me know if you have thoughts or preferences on this to save
on review cycles implementing the wrong one.

Best Regards,
-Paul