[openstack-dev] [all] ALL dependencies pinned in devstack-gate now

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jul 3 09:01:00 UTC 2015

Robert Collins wrote:
> I want to give an update on
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/requirements-management.html
> - we've just passed a critical milestone there, and this affects how
> everyone updates requirements.
>
> As of a few minutes ago devstack-gate landed the change to set
> USE_CONSTRAINTS=True. What this means is that the file
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/upper-constraints.txt
> is now used to determine the version of every dependency that is present in it.

Great to see progress here !

> [...]
> Now, the things you have to remember as developers:
>
> * If you are adding a new requirement you should also add it to
> upper-constraints.txt with an exact pin.
>
> * If you are raising a minimum version of a requirement, you need to
> also raise it in upper-constraints.txt.

Three questions:

- Do you plan to update openstack/requirements README.rst to explain
upper-constraints.txt, and how it should be modified in parallel to
global-requirements.txt from now on ?

- What should we do with existing requirements reviews ? Reject them if
they don't come with associated upper-constraints changes ? Check if the
upper-constraints is compatible ? Recheck them so that a magic test is
run on them ?

- Does that (or should that) also affect stable/kilo and stable/juno ?
(there is no upper-constraints there)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)