[openstack-dev] [nova] Rebuilding instances booted from volume

ZhengZhenyu zheng.zhenyu at outlook.com
Thu Jul 2 04:11:42 UTC 2015

Hi, All
According to my test, Nova cannot rebuild Volume-Booted instances, patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176891/fixes rebuild for instances launched using image and attached with volumes, but yet rebuilding an instance booted from volumeis still not working.
The rebuild action for volume-booted instances after implementing the above patch performs like this:
The volumes are detached and attached again, the selected image/snapshot for rebuilding is actually useless.This means that if the /dev/vda for an instance booted from volume is broken for some reason, we cannot rebuild it from a newimage or the snapshot of this instance (nova just detach and attach again the same volume).
I don't know whether this is a bug or it is designed on purpose.
Thanks,
BR,Zheng