[openstack-dev] [all] [test-]requirements-PYN.txt will cause gate failures on check-*-requirements

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 1 23:36:33 UTC 2015

On 29 June 2015 at 15:59, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> Hi, so we're nearly ready to deprecate the python-version-specific
> requirements files. Once we have infra's requirements cross checking
> jobs all copacetic again, we should be able to move forward.

So we've got them working again in master, and I'm about to work on
support for stable - things are a bit awkward and all tied together
there. Sorry for the extended disruption on requirement updates!

The status right now is:
- all stable jobs are failing on requirements checks, because we don't
have the needed code modules in the openstack/requirements stable
branches. This is critical and my top priority to unblock everything
stable/.

- master requirement checks should work Just Fine, as long as the
requirements are current. However the bot doesn't know enough to merge
-PYN requirements files for you. So you need to do that manually. The
easiest way IMO is:

REQS=$(pwd)/reqs
virtualenv $REQS
. $REQS/bin/activate
pip install -U pip setuptools -e
git+https://git.openstack.org/openstack/requirements#egg=openstack.requirements
cd path-to-project
cat requirements-py3.txt >> requirements.txt
cat test-requirements-py3.txt >> test-requirements.txt
git rm *requirements-py3.txt
update-requirements --source $REQS/src/openstack.requirements .
git diff
# you'll have some cruft to cleanup - duplicate comments at the bottom
of the files and so on
# commit and review
# repeat from 'cd path-to-project' as needed.

One word of caution. Some of the projects i've done this for -
keystone and glance - had -e editable lines in their requirements
files: these got through because infra wasn't linting the -py3 files
at all until recently, and I'm not yet sure if we can get them back
in. So we may need to actually fixup those dependencies asap. E.g. get
/a/ release of glance-store out with its partial python3 support, to
permit the glance python34 gate to work at all.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist