[openstack-dev] [infra] Announcing 61 new infra puppet modules

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Fri Jan 30 18:03:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

As part of an effort to better support re-use of the Infrastructure
program's software, tooling, and systems-administration work, we have
moved all of our puppet modules out of the system-config repository.
Now each of them may be found in its own git repo, such as
openstack-infra/puppet-zuul and openstack-infra/puppet-gerrit, etc.
There are 61 puppet modules in all, currently.

This work was described in a spec here: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/puppet-modules.html

In time we expect contributions to these modules to reduce their
specificity to the OpenStack project and make them more generally
useful.  Many of the newer ones are already generally useful, some of
the older ones, less so.

With the new configuration, here is where to make an
infrastructure-related change:

  * To change project-related configuration, such as adding a new
    project, changing CI jobs, IRC bots, etc., look in
    openstack-infra/project-config

  * To change characteristics of the actual servers run by the OpenStack
    Infrastructure team (e.g., add a new server, change a config file
    setting for a daemon, etc.), look in openstack-infra/system-config

  * To expose an option for a particular service so that it may be
    configured in system-config, look in the individual puppet module
    for that service (e.g., openstack-infra/puppet-gerrit to add the
    ability to toggle a gerrit option).

All of our puppet git repos are tested in a large co-gating
configuration -- a change to any of them will run puppet apply tests on
all of our platforms to ensure that it is as easy to make and verify
changes across any of these modules as it was when they were all located
within the same repository.

-Jim