[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] PyMySQL review

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 09:24:36 UTC 2015

On Thu Jan 29 2015 at 12:59:34 AM Mike Bayer <mbayer at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey list -

Hey, Mike.

While PyMySQL is lacking test coverage in some areas, has no external
> documentation, and has at least some areas where Python performance can be
> improved, the basic structure of the driver is perfectly fine and
> straightforward.  I can envision turning this driver into a total monster,
> adding C-speedups where needed but without getting in the way of async
> patching, adding new APIs for explicit async, and everything else.
>  However, I’ve no idea what the developers have an appetite for.
>
> Please review the document at https://wiki.openstack.org/
> wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation.

That's a great research! Under its impression I've spent most of last
evening reading PyMySQL sources. It looks like it not as much need C
speedups currently as plain old Python optimizations. Protocol parsing code
seems very inefficient (chained struct.unpack's interleaved with data
copying and util method calls that do the same struct.unpack with
unnecessary type check... wow...) That's a huge place for improvement.
I think it worth spending time on coming vacation to fix these slowdowns.
We'll see if they'll pay back those 10% slowdown people are talking about.