[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] PyMySQL review

Roman Podoliaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Thu Jan 29 16:35:20 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Mike, thanks for summarizing this in
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation !

On PyMySQL: this is something we need to enable testing of oslo.db on
Python 3.x and PyPy. Though, I doubt we want to make PyMySQL the
default DB API driver for OpenStack services for Python 2.x. At least,
not until PyMySQL provides C-speedups for hot spots in the driver code
(I assume this can be done in eventlet/PyPy friendly way using cffi).
Otherwise, PyMySQL would be much slower than MySQL-Python for the
typical SQL queries we do (e.g. ask for *a lot* of data from the DB).

On native threads vs green threads: I very much like the Keystone
approach, which allows to run the service using either eventlet or
Apache. It would be great, if we could do that for other services as
well.

Thanks,
Roman