[openstack-dev] [tc] Take back the naming process

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Thu Jan 29 01:24:11 UTC 2015

I'm short on time so I apologize for my candor since I need to get straight
to the point.

I love reading the various opinions and my team is immensely excited with
OpenStack is maturing. But this is lunacy.

I looked at the patch being worked [1] to change how things are done and
have more questions than I can count.

So I'll start with the obvious ones:

   - Are you proposing this change as a Foundation Individual Board
   Director tasked with representing the interests of all Individual Members
   of the OpenStack community or as a member of the TC? Context matters
   because your two hats are presenting a conflict of interest in my opinion.
   One cannot propose a change that gives them greater influence while
   suggesting they're doing it for everyone's benefit.
   - How is "fun" remotely relevant when discussing process improvement?
   I'm really hoping we aren't developing processes based on how fun a process
   is or isn't.
   - Why is this discussion being limited to the development community
   only? Where's the openness in that?
   - What exactly is the problem we're attempting to fix?
   - Does the current process not work?
   - Is there group of individuals being disenfranchised with our current
   process somehow that suggests the process should limit participation
   differently?

And some questions around the participation proposals:

   - Why is the election process change proposing to limit participation to
   ATC members only?
   There are numerous enthusiasts within our community that don't fall
   within the ATC category such as marketing (as some have brought up),
   corporate sponsors (where I live) and I'm sure there are many more.
   - Is taking back the process a hint that the current process is being
   mishandled or restores a sense of process control?
   - Is the presumption that the election process belongs to someone or
   some group?
   That strikes me as an incredibly subjective assertion to make.

<opinion>This is one reason I feel so strongly folks should not be allowed
to hold more than one position of leadership within the OpenStack project.
Obfuscated context coupled with increased influence rarely produces
excellence on either front. But that's me.</opinion>

Mahalo,
Adam

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/150604/

*Adam Lawson*