[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] PyMySQL review

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Wed Jan 28 23:50:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> As is often the case with threading, a reason to avoid using it is
> that libraries often aren't able or willing to assert thread safety.
>
> That said, one way to fix that, is to fix those libraries that we do
> want to use, to be thread safe. :)

I floated this idea across some coworkers recently and they brought up a
similar concern, which is concurrency in general, both within our code
and dependencies.

I can't find many places in Nova (at least) that are concurrent in the
sense that one object will be used by multiple threads. nova-scheduler
is likely one place. nova-compute would likely be easy to fix if there
are any problems.

That said, I think the only way to know for sure is to try it out and
see. I'm going to hack up a proof of concept and see how difficult this
will be.

JE