[openstack-dev] [Neutron] fixed ip info shown for port even when dhcp is disabled

Padmanabhan Krishnan kprad1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 21:58:09 UTC 2015

Some follow up questions on this.
In the specs, i see that during a "create_port",  there's provisions to query the external source by  "Pluggable IPAM" to return the IP.This works fine for cases where the external source (say, DHCP server) can be queried for the IP address when a launch happens.
Is there a provision to have the flexibility of a "late IP assignment"?
 I am thinking of cases, like the temporary unavailability of external IP source or lack of standard interfaces in which case data packet snooping is used to find the IP address of a VM after launch. Something similar to late binding of IP addresses.This means the create_port  may not get the IP address from the pluggable IPAM. In that case, launch of a VM (or create_port) shouldn't fail. The Pluggable IPAM should have some provision to return something equivalent to "unavailable" during create_port and be able to do an update_port when the IP address becomes available.
I don't see that option. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks,Paddu