[openstack-dev] [glance] Replication on image create

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:44:46 UTC 2015

> On 1/19/15 12:21 PM, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
> It would be great to open up a BP/spec on this.

I've opened a set of BPs / specs which capture my current thoughts in
the image replication space:

* Glance support for multiple stores of the same type / scheme. Think
cinder multi-backend support without the service per backend and
scheduler. See [1] and [2].
* Glance async task to initiate image replication between 2 glance
stores. See [3] and [4].
* Glance async task to initiate image location deletion on a per
location basis or all locations for an image. See [5] and [6].

My thoughts here are that these BPs pave the way to a number of image
based use cases related to image fault tolerance, locality and policy
based hosting.

Assuming we can reach an agreement on the BPs, (IMO) this is not Kilo
based work given where we are in the dev schedule. Rather I suspect this
work would have to happen in the L cycle... Assuming I'm in the same
role I'm likely to have bandwidth to get these BPs implemented. Perhaps
even a PoC in Kilo.

Let's start the discussion via spec review comments and take it from
there; I can attend glance meetings as needed.

Thanks!

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/multi-store
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/150967/
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/image-bits-replication