[openstack-dev] [tc] Take back the naming process

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jan 27 22:48:53 UTC 2015

Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> writes:

> I do not like how we are selecting names for our releases right now.
> The current process is autocratic and opaque and not fun - which is the
> exact opposite of what a community selected name should be.
>
> I propose:
>
> * As soon as development starts on release X, we open the voting for the
> name of release X+1 (we're working on Kilo now, we should have known the
> name of L at the K summit)
>
> * Anyone can nominate a name - although we do suggest that something at
> least related to the location of the associated summit would be nice
>
> * We condorcet vote on the entire list of nominated names
>
> * After we have the winning list, the foundation trademark checks the name
>
> * If there is a trademark issue (and only a trademark issue - not a
> "marketing doesn't like the name" issue) we'll move down to the next
> name on the list

Thank you, I agree!  I have proposed a change[1] to the governance repo
that I believe implements the suggested process.  Note that I kept the
existing rules about the locality of the name, since I think that's a
good part of the fun (anyone can come up with a cool "L" word, but
finding one near the summit is a challenge).  Of course it is easy to
modify the naming rules without changing the process if we desire, and I
made explicit the process for overriding the rules for names that sound
really cool.

Note that if this is approved, I would expect it to be used for the
Miyazaki release, but not before.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/150604

-Jim