[openstack-dev] [Nova] Requirements.txt and optional requirements

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Jan 27 16:09:16 UTC 2015

On 01/27/2015 02:18 AM, Silvan Kaiser wrote:
> Hello!
> Do dependencies required only in some contexts belong into requirements.txt?
>
> Yesterday we had a short discussion on #openstack-nova regarding how to
> handle optional requirements. This was triggered by our quobyte nova driver
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/110722/18), who requires xattr, which we
> therefore added to requirements.txt (as it is provided by the requirements
> project).
>
> Points from the discussion:
> - If we add this we will be adding every requirement for every component
> ---> this becomes to big.
> - Remove this requirement, no optional entries in requirements.txt, a
> 'deployer' has to know what dependencies the components he wants to use have
> ---> Usually he does not know and installation becomes more issue prone
> - Other (in between) ideas???
>
> Please note that this has some urgency, the change set referenced above has
> been in review for months and i'm trying to react asap on comments but the
> deadline is approaching (next week) and if i have to do bigger changes I'd
> like to know as fast as possible...
>
> Best regards
> SIlvan Kaiser

I will just put in another plug for some work I had started around this
(and never finished :-( ).

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/83150/ (despite the Jenkins results,
I'm pretty sure that was working locally for me)

Also the discussion at
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-February/026976.html

There was general consensus on the approach and support has been in pbr
for a long time now, but I've never had time to figure out what would be
needed to make it play nicely with global requirements.  I _think_
that's the only major blocker preventing this from being useful, so if
someone wanted to pick it up and run with it that would be awesome.

-Ben