[openstack-dev] [Fuel] removing single mode

Aleksandr Didenko adidenko at mirantis.com
Tue Jan 27 13:05:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

After starting implementing granular deployment we've faced a bunch of
issues that would make further development of this feature much more
complicated if we have to support both Simple and HA deployment modes. For
example: simple mode does not require cluster (corosync, pacemaker, vips,
etc), so we had to skip this task for Simple mode somehow - we can use
conditional tasks, or conditional manifests in our tasks, or create
separate task graphs for different deployment modes, etc - either way it's
pretty much doubling the amount of work for some parts of Fuel and our
development cycle.

At the moment, CI blocks us from further development of fuel-library
modularization BP [2] because we still use Simple mode in CI. So in order
to proceed with this BP we have two options:

1) remove Simple mode from CI/QA and thus drop it completely from Fuel
2) double our efforts to support both Simple and HA modes in granular
deployment

We have a BP about single-controller HA [1]. HA with single controller
works just fine at the moment. So if you want to test Fuel on a minimum set
of nodes, you can do this on 3 nodes (Fuel master, controller, compute),
just like with Simple mode before. I suppose, it's time to finally drop
support for Simple mode in Fuel :)

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/single-controller-ha
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/fuel-library-modularization

--
Regards,
Aleksandr Didenko

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Mike Scherbakov <mscherbakov at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Definitely fuel spec is needed :)
>

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> I have some comments regarding to you action items

>> cli
>>
>> We shouldn't do it, because nailgun should handle both versions of
>> cluster.
>> What we have to do here is to use openstack.yaml to keep all possible
>> modes.
>> For new release there will be only ha, to manage previous releases we have
>> to create data migrations in nailgun to create the filed with modes i.e.
>> multinode
>> and ha.
>>
>> Also fixes for ui are required too, I think it mostly related to wizard,
>> 'mode' tab
>> where use can chose ha or non ha cluster in case of new release there
>> should
>> be only ha, and in case of old releases there should be ha and multinode.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>>  On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Andrew Woodward <xarses at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  Started a new thread so that we don't hijack the older thread.
>>>  as

>>> The primary reason that we haven't disabled single yet is was due to [0]
>>> where we where having problems adding additional controllers. With the
>>> changes to galera and rabbit clustering it appears that we ended up fixing
>>> it already.
>>>
>>> The remaining issues are:
>>> 1) Ensuring we have good test coverage for the cases we expect to
>>> support [1]