[openstack-dev] [Nova] Requirements.txt and optional requirements

Silvan Kaiser silvan at quobyte.com
Tue Jan 27 08:18:55 UTC 2015

Hello!
Do dependencies required only in some contexts belong into requirements.txt?

Yesterday we had a short discussion on #openstack-nova regarding how to
handle optional requirements. This was triggered by our quobyte nova driver
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/110722/18), who requires xattr, which we
therefore added to requirements.txt (as it is provided by the requirements
project).

Points from the discussion:
- If we add this we will be adding every requirement for every component
---> this becomes to big.
- Remove this requirement, no optional entries in requirements.txt, a
'deployer' has to know what dependencies the components he wants to use have
---> Usually he does not know and installation becomes more issue prone
- Other (in between) ideas???

Please note that this has some urgency, the change set referenced above has
been in review for months and i'm trying to react asap on comments but the
deadline is approaching (next week) and if i have to do bigger changes I'd
like to know as fast as possible...

Best regards
SIlvan Kaiser

*Quobyte* GmbH
Boyenstr. 41 - 10115 Berlin-Mitte - Germany
+49-30-814 591 800 - www.quobyte.com
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 149012B
management board: Dr. Felix Hupfeld, Dr. Björn Kolbeck, Dr. Jan Stender